I did it. I finally switched my personal blog from blogger to wordpress. Why the change? Well, there are a few reasons. First of all, I feel so confined with blogger. I feel as though I can’t really personalize the blog there, nor can I allow my blog to morph and change as much as I would like.
Lately I’ve been feeling kind of bad for neglecting to make my presence shown in blogging world. It is really good for me to write frequently whether people read what I have to say or not. I started wondering why I wasn’t blogging. Of course, one of the things that came to mind was the fact that I have been so busy; but to me that’s not a real reason. Then, it dawned on me – I cannot achieve my real goals and plans for my blog unless I make a switch.
So what are those plans and goals? Here they are in no particular order:
- I need to write. While I don’t ever expect to get anything published, nor do I expect to be a great writer, I have to write. It’s in my bones. I’ve been a writer from the time I was little. I remember sitting on my Winnie-the-Pooh bed dreaming up stories I could write that would tell other people about Jesus and His love. I thought of allegories, true stories and loads of ways to get those stories into people’s hands. That’s another reason I have to write. God has given me a mind that is full of ideas. I don’t think one day has gone by without a new idea popping into my head and I want to share them. God has given me a message, and I don’t want to let Him down by keeping it all to myself.
- I need to share. I touched on this a little bit above, but this is a different kind of sharing. God is always teaching me new things as I read His word and as I walk through life with Him. When I share these lessons with those around me it not only cements these truths in my mind, but hopefully it gives others an opportunity to learn more about God and His love too! Besides, isn’t that the commission Jesus gave in Matthew 28:19-20?
- I need separation. I write a lot for families at my other website, joshuashouse.com. It is often quite challenging for me not to do a lot of cross posting. There are even times when I don’t post at all because I’m not sure where it should go. Now, I can have an rss feed from Joshua’s house to here with information from Joshua’s House right here (check it out on the right). Pretty nifty huh?
- I need encouragement. By keeping a regular blog, I can look back and see where I have grown in my life. I can also see places where I have been stuck in a rut for quite some time. I can praise God for the changes in my life, and prayerfully seek Him and depend on Him to continue to work in areas of weakness. After all, He has promised to never give up on me (Phil. 1:6)!
- I need accountability. This is actually a new phase that I’m moving into with my website. I have little accountability in my life. This has really been a hindrance to my Spiritual growth as of late. I can’t help but believe that if I start posting my goals and such online, where anyone can see them, that it may be a big push for me to make some changes that need to happen.
- I need resources. I am constantly needing things to publish for this or that newsletter. I have devotional talks to do and various other events that require regular resources. If I keep up with my writing and have a place that I’m posting it, it will be easy to produce something worthwhile during those crazy instances when I am pressed for time.
- I need pages. Okay, so I don’t really need pages, but they sure are nice. No, I’m not using any of the pages right now, but I haven’t really gotten settled into my new online home either. Give me some time and you’ll see how the pages can be a valuable asset.
So there you have it. That’s why I switched. I may need to continue to come back and look at this post again and again to remind myself why it is that I’m blogging. May all that I do be to the glory of God!